Posted to alt.solar.thermal,alt.architecture.alternative,alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
Solar Flare Solar Flare is offline

Default Another Deployable Doubt Dispeller

Sounds like a few people get it.

Yes, I am not going to live in a dark box, I will have windows. If
nick has ever done a complete heat study for a building he would know
his figures are uneducated bull**** and his whole retort was just a
troll, not worth discussing. I am not going to dispute the heat study
done. The 50K was a little high and actually was in the order of 45K
at 95F dT.

3200ft^2 in a 1800ft^2 building. I cannot live without a floor or
windows, come to think of it.

The whole point was this long term heat storage is an old topic and
tried by many design engineers in the 70 and 80s and never worked 100%
even in some moderate climates. The storage costs too much and most
don't have the property to support the size.

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

wrote in message
.

Now if my house is 1800 square feet...

And it needs 50K Btu/h, with 3200 ft^2 of R32 walls and ceiling,
and
it's T (F) outdoors, with 50K = (70-T)3200ft^2/R32, T = minus 430
F.
That's a very cold day :-)

Obviously, his walls are NOT R32, or even close. With windows,

even good thermopane ones, it is hard to come anywhere near the
insulation
level of the wall. Unless you can live with tiny view-ports in your
walls,
it is a bit tough to get anywhere near an R32 average for the entire
wall area.
(There are special construction techniques like double walls, etc.
that can
get there.)

Also, maybe the 50 K BTU/Hr is the capacity of the furnace, and
hopefully
it will rarely have to run flat out.

As for 2 hrs sunshine/Mo. I would not want to live there!

Jon