Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Studs In House Show Black Lines

wrote:

I have a question about my house...in the last two weeks I have noticed
black lines where all my studs are on exterior walls. When doing some
research (this newsgroup) I found that it may be because of "Cold
Spots" forming around the studs in the walls. I am working on my
basement and I have some drywall dust down there....is this sticking to
the walls and forming these black lines?

What are my options to getting rid of this or can anyone explain why
this is happening?

1. Do I need to add a dehumidifer to cut down any moisture? Do I need
to see behind the drywall if there is mosture forming behind it? Am I
going to have mold problems down the road now?
2. I was planning on repainting my whole upstairs this spring, so can
I cover these spots with a good primer and a good dark paint?
3. Can I wash these spots away? What do people recommend?

Thanks for your time and response.

If the house is not steel stud framed, I suppose that could also happen
with wood studs. Since the wood studs have less insulation value than
the insulated stud bay between them, the room air would condense on the
colder stud locations first. In that case the marks could be mold or
room dust that is sticking to the condensed water vapor. Room dust has
mold spores, unless you live in a clean room. Not all mold is toxic.

I've seen only seen the entire stud position marked like that with
steel studs. I think it has to do with magnetism and ionized dust, but
possibly the condensing water vapor thing as well.