Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default NO, NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
Find me one report/link to an accident that didn't involve air
pressures greater than 150 psig or an explosive (oil) mixture.

One!The very first listing from googling "shop air explosion" revealed one
occasion
where 140psi of air was accidentally put in a truck tire which then exploded,
killing the worker. No explosive mixture... just air pressure less than 150
psi.

That's not a shop-air explosion. That is an idiot overinflating a tire.
Using that barometer (I made a funny), I am sure there are many
air-related accidents.

Look at the first line you wrote above: I met every criteria you asked for.
Now you're adding conditions?

You did not meet the criteria. You did not point to a situation where
the PVC pipe had exploded... it was a truck tire. The topic here is PVC
piping.

Having said that, I have discovered one of the errors of mine and that
is the air plumbing in the old shop is in fact ABS. My apologies.
I also read the other links that kind Wreckers have posted. I would
never even think of PVC in an industrial application. Service air
systems in my history have been driven by 100 HP rotary vane
compressors at pressures of 300 PSIG and higher. 4" lines are not
uncommon in power generation.
To be blowing craters of the dimensions stated in some of the reports,
one needs a whole lot more than a basic wood-workers' compressor.
Therefore the parallels are ridiculous.

Even though, in one of the reports it states "Gas Transmission and
Distribution Piping Systems Standard, limit the operating pressure of
plastic piping distribution systems to 100 pounds per inch (psi)",
which makes me think that PVC isn't as fragile as some think it is, it
obviously isn't worth taking a chance on PVC. I hereby retract my
careless endorsement of PVC and suggest we stick to copper, ABS or
other stuff I have never heard of before.

Lesson learned, ABS isn't PVC and you can't get anything past this
alert crew of wreckers.

Thanks for the corrections.