Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default NO, NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO

Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 6, 12:35 am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Robatoy wrote: Only if you fill the cavity with an explosive mixture.
Air pressure alone will not have that catastrophic an effect.
At worst, the 'shrapnel' will fall at your feet.

BULL ****! !

Find me one report/link to an accident that didn't involve air
pressures greater than 150 psig or an explosive (oil) mixture.

Anecdotal only. My boss at my old job had a neighbor
who tired to inflate a space-saver spare tire to 32 psig
or so instead of the rated maximum.

It separated from the rim and the blast of air blew his
face off of his skull.

That's not a terribly good analog to the present discussion.

What size pipe is pretty important in this context.

IIRC, plastic soda-pop bottles are rated for about 150 psig.
So you could take a small one, put some vinegar in it and
then drop in some baking soda wrapped in wax paper,
screw on the cap and put it somewhere safe to see how
big a bang it makes.

Please note, this may be illegal in your locale. If that is
the case, don't do it.

--

FF