Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max George Max is offline

Default Table top sanding with floor sander?

On 5 Dec 2006 15:04:46 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I don't think this is a crazy idea but...

I'm having a heck of a time finding someone with a drum sander to a 42"
wide table top I've glued up. You can now rent floor sanders that are
essentially 4 random orbit sanders. My understanding is that they're
not very aggressive (although more so than the big square orbital
sander)

Why wouldn't this be a good way to sand my table top? Has anyone tried
it? The material is white oak.

Thanks.

Mat

The last time I had to do this, I glued up the top in halves (to fit
the sander), put 'em through said sander and then did the final glue
up in my studio. It worked pretty well and the effort to correct any
misalignment was minor.