Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Lee Speke-King Frank Lee Speke-King is offline

Default Pilot light gas usage

wrote:

I've worked out that the pilot light on my old Vaillant combi boiler
uses the equivalent of 60UKP of gas per year, does this sound right?

Yep. Taking meter readings (mine's a cubic metres one and reads to the
third decimal place) my ancient Glowworm boiler uses 0.44 cu.m per day
just on the pilot light.

This means a new boiler would repay in 10 years on the cost of pilot
light gas alone.

Not on your nelly.

The chap that services my boiler - 27 years and doing just fine -
knows of one that's over 40 years old and in fine condition. How many
replacement new-type boilers would have given up the ghost in that
time?

And don't forget thet they are blessed with that modern invention, the
Circuit Board, that you can't mend and costs a fortune to replace,
even though it's got no more electronics in it than a scanning FM
receiver from Poundland. Well, two receivers from Poundland, anyway.

--

Frank