Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default Need advice on hammerdrill - Christmas present for husband

On Dec 6, 7:16 am, Jeanne wrote:

I knew Porter Cable was overkill (and pricey) for what my
husband does (home shop) - that's why I didn't mention PC (or Makita).

I have a corded Bosch hammer drill that I got for about $160 a few
years ago at Sears. It is perfect for home shop work - not too big,
plenty of power, inexpensive. I agree with the earlier post saying that
a hammer drill is not the best candidate for cordless. A Hammer Drill
usually isn't used all that often, and when it is used, you want all
the power you can get.

On the other hand, if your husband already has a few cordless tools
with batteries bigger than 14 volts, then it would make sense to get
the same brand/battery size as the existing tools so that the batteries
and charger can be shared. This would make for an even better gift,
because he'd have a new tool, AND extra batteries for tools he already
has.

Mike