Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Recoating shed roof with bitumen paint?

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 12:24:22 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:

The roof is the same material but covered with roofing felt. I'd like
to make the roof last a long time and I happen to have some bitumen
paint lying around --- would putting a few coats of this on the
roofing felt every few years be a good way of extending its
durability?

Yes, though the paint doesn't last too well. Keep the brush/roller in a
near-empty tin of bit paint for next year. Or wrap it in plastic, and stick it
in the paint a few days before you use it next. It will stiffen up a bit, but
soften in while if immersed in the paint. Not worth the mess to wash it out.

The paint comes off hands etc very well with baby oil, or oil-soaked baby bum
wipes. Skin-friendlier and less smelly than diesel...

Thomas Prufer