Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment

Default Siting of panels for solar water heating

On 2006-12-04 16:48:31 +0000, John Beardmore said:

The inevitable result is overpricing and poor quality. The only way
to defend that is not to have any competition so that people have
comparison points.

This strikes me as a political belief rather than an observation based
on what can be observed in the town hall.

One only has to look in a few places to see a consistent malaise.

Guess I just look under different rocks.

Perhaps that's where you are going wrong. The malaise is in broad
daylight for all to see.

I know what you mean in some departments, but it's not universal. I'm
going to support the people in LAs that are worth supporting.

You must spend a lot of time looking.

or not looking a all, and just assuming

Didn't your environmental studies course have anything about business
principles..?

Well up to a point, but they don't generally encourage the provision of
redundant services to gratify and ideological lust for choice where any
marginal benefit from the provision of choice is swamped by increasing
the environmental footprint of the service provision of a whole.

Not in touch with reality then...

Its odd how many put whatever theyre taught on a pedestal. The 'well..'
paragraph above describes some real naivete.

And calling it a "Home Care" package implies that there is more
bundled into it than waste collection. I thought you only wanted to
pay for what you used ?

So create "Home Care" bronze, silver and gold products.

Bronze is basic rubbish collection, silver includes collecting
additional things such as garden rubbish etc. and gold includes rat
catching and wasp nest destruction; or whatever. Just illustrations.

I suspect many will opt for the 'wet paper medal' home care package.
This should cut costs, staff use, vehicle miles, energy use and
pollution greatly.

Hmmm... The only people to whom this kind of thing seems to appeal are
those who seem to be obsessed by the provision of choice a matter of
principle. Still - make it an election issue, and see how far you
get. It'd be interesting to see.

I think it will....

I dont believe it'll happen any day soon, as recycling is a vehicle for
taking more of our money, using it to pay for services that companies
then profit from. And that games been going on for along time. The
Olympics is another example.

NT