Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment

Default Siting of panels for solar water heating

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 01:37:41 +0000 someone who may be John Beardmore
wrote this:-

Sems to be about 1 per week, and the fines are not minor slaps on the
wrist either. ISTR £400 for a single item of junk mail in with the
waste paper.

I find that hard to believe.

I suspect the OP is referring to the following

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/wa...925467,00.html

Environmentalists yesterday criticised a council for prosecuting a
man who put the wrong kind of rubbish into a recycling bag. Friends
of the Earth said the case of Michael Reeves, who has been ordered
to pay £200 for putting a single sheet of paper in a bag reserved
for glass and tin, could put others off recycling.

Mr Reeves, from Swansea in south Wales, said he would not attempt to
recycle again. He was backed by other residents who said the council
ought to be putting more resources into keeping the streets clean
rather than chasing people who were trying to do the right thing.

The saga began when a recycling team spotted a sheet of paper in a
green bag outside Mr Reeves's flat - a bill with Mr Reeves's name on
it. He denied he had put it in the green bag but was fined £100 with
£100 costs by Swansea magistrates.

Friends of the Earth Cymru, the Welsh arm of the environmental
group, said the prosecution sent out the wrong signal. Spokesman
Julian Rosser said: "I feel a case like this can really damage
recycling.

"If someone persistently puts the wrong things into the wrong bags,
and is warned, then we would support prosecution." But the "one-off
offence was very, very minor." Mr Reeves, a 28-year-old local sports
journalist, said: "I am very angry. I still deny putting that piece
of paper in the bag." Swansea council said most people managed to
sort their waste. "It's not rocket science," said a spokesman. "The
bags are labelled clearly."

and bizarrely, some people want these folk to have a monopoly on their
waste services!

NT