Posted to alt.solar.thermal,alt.architecture.alternative,alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
Anthony Matonak Anthony Matonak is offline

Default Another Deployable Doubt Dispeller

wrote:
Anthony Matonak wrote:

Why not make the water tank a cube or cylinder shape and use existing
hydronic heating technology to warm the house.

Sounds more expensive and less portable.

Portability isn't much of an issue as a water tank can be made
out out plastic or fiberglass and doesn't weigh much when empty.

One might say the same for EPDM rubber.

Sure, you can make water pools or bladders out of EPDM rubber
but you have to make them while water tanks are off the shelf
items. It just seems easier to me to use existing technology.

For the floors, you are discussing an 8x8 foot floor which could
be made out of two 4x8 foot sections. Each section could have
a length of plastic tubing with some form of quick-connect.

How would we build the floor with tubing and what would it cost and
what would the water temp be for the same heat transfer? Sounds like
it would need a pump.

I don't have blueprints if that is what you are asking. I know
all kinds of companies sell stuff to put water heating in floors
so I can't believe it's terribly difficult or expensive.

I don't see a major problem with having a pump and your original
plan suggested the use of a pump on some days anyhow.

... I will note that normal foamboard is a fire hazard.

Since 1995? :-) Foil-faced polyiso seems fine to me.

Since always, I would imagine.

IIRC, uncovered foamboard became a fire hazard fairly recently.

I can't believe a product suddenly "becomes" a fire hazard.
I can believe that it wasn't always widely recognized as being
the fire hazard that it is.

Anthony