Posted to rec.woodworking
Gwidman Gwidman is offline

Default Newbie question - Wood for drawers

"Max" wrote in message
et...

"Dan" wrote
Hello --

I have in mind some projects whose size does not exceed One cubic foot.
I have noticed that several kits I have purchased have wood of 3/8 of
an inch or less in thickness. When I hit the area lumber yard, Such
stock is not in immediate evidence. I would like to use the smaller
size, as a drawer of cigar box size with 3/4 inch sides is a bit over
whelming.

I have heard of resawing Lumber. I do have knowledge of planers.
Is this how you get thin stock, or Should I be trying a corner of a
lumeryard, perhaps another lumber yard?

Thanks

--dan

I have seen "thin" pieces of select woods (oak, maple, etc) at Lowe's. If
you can't find it, ask.
If you don't have access to a Lowe's, you might try Home Depot. If
neither, ask for Birch plywood at your lumber yard.
Baltic Birch plywood is excellent drawer material.

Max

It may not be what you are looking for, but Baltic Birch comes in many
different thicknesses and is what I make all my drawers of. Tough as there
is. It's common and available at any good lumber supplier.

GW