Posted to rec.woodworking
Never Enough Money Never Enough Money is offline

Default Veritas Power Sharpening System - Primary / Micro-bevel Not Parallel

Excellent explantion. Thank you. It does, as you say, put high demands
on the holder: it must be dead nuts flat.

On Dec 4, 3:52 pm, wrote:
Never,

I don't think that this is true. As long as the blade holder holds the
blade perfectly flat to the abrasive platter, how can the blade be
ground out of square ?

Yes the outboard side of the blade does see a greater platter
velocitiy, or as you put it: the blade sees extra paper. Agreed. But as
long as the blade is held rigid, flat and in its original geometry
relative to the platter, the entire length along the bevel must be
ground uniformly.

Maybe, one way maybe to think of it is: even though the outer edge of
the blade wants to be ground at a faster rate, the opposite end of the
blade, the inner end (where grinding is going slower) is holding up the
rest of the blade, up off the paper. So the entire bevel eventually
gets ground down to the same level.

Now if the blade holder deforms, as I maintain, then you get crap.

Larry

Never Enough Money wrote:
Even if the holder is perfect, how could you ever overcome the problem
I mentioned in my earlier post on this topic? The outer edge sees a lot
more paper than the inner edge so you'll always have asymmetry...
Unless somehow the pressure on the outer edge is lightened up to
perfectly compensate for the extra papaer it sees (that'd be difficult,
I think).

[snip]