Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Best Benchtop Jointer: Delta JT160, Harbor Freight, Grizzly H2801?

Dude, get a PM 54A with a mobile base. It'll fit under a shelf when not
in use. Benchtop jointer?? Like a weapon, "it's better to have it and
not need it, than to need it and not have it". Use a wooden wedge as a
cutterhead lock. Chrisgiraffe wrote:
Hello out there,
I don't have a large shop but would like to have some kind of jointer.
I recently returned a Craftsman benchtop model because I found out that
the tables were not coplaner (thanks to Ed Bennett's TS-Aligner Jr.)-
see topic "Jointer Troubles". That said, I'm looking for a
replacement. I see the Shopfox benchtop is exactly the same as the
Craftsman benchtop with different labels. I want to stay away from
Sears for the rest of my life.

I have a Delta drill press and table saw, both of which are absolutely
outstanding all around and their customer service (at least in my
experience) has also been incredible, so naturally I'm leaning toward
the Delta JT160, but I've heard bad things about it. Now, are these
things by people who use the larger stationary jointers and are irked
at the difference? I can't tell. I've heard great things about the
Harbor Freight which just looks cheap and appears to have none of the
features Delta has. I haven't heard anything about the Grizzly but
figured I'd include it and ask if anyone knows about any other benchtop
models as well.

I know a benchtop jointer can't compare to a stationary one but if you
had to pick one, which would you choose and why? Also, if you know of
one with a blade lock let me know. Thanks for your input!