Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bigjim@backpacker.com is offline

Default State Farm Insurance vs knob & tube wiring

I have stae farm and a 1935 house. No electrical inspection- in fact
no interior inspection at all

wrote:
RBM (remove this) wrote:
I contacted a State Farm Insurance agent today to find out how that company
deals with homes that have K&T wiring. The replies they gave me were exactly
as I would have expected. Unfortunately, they were not willing to give me
the specific documents they read to me regarding this issue. The essence of
the document is that they want to know the percentage of K&T wiring in the
house, the condition of the K&T, and if it is adequate for the loads that
are on the wiring. There are notes indicating that they want certified
electrical inspectors or licensed electricians to make this determination,
depending upon the percentage of K&T in the building. Clearly they have an
issue with K&T , and the issue is primarily its age. They take a number of
factors in to determine if they will insure a house with this type of
wiring, but there is NO blanket denial due to K&T

State Farm Insures our home and never did the agent ask about knob and
tube wiring. Our home is 80 years old and we do have k&t, but only for
three ceiling lights and two outdoor porch lights. The remaining
electric is up to date. But never did State Farm ask about our wiring.
We live in a very small town if that makes a difference. Many old homes
around.

-Felder