Posted to sci.electronics.repair
paragon66x paragon66x is offline

Default Sony HCD-MG510AV 60 cd receiver w/surround and A/V jacks - WONT TURN ON

My son learned a valuable lesson (I think) and broke his stereo. I am
hoping one of you can offer me some help on maybe fixing it.

Here's the deal: against my advice, he snuck the stereo outside and
plugged it into a 12v to 120v convertor in his car. Eventually he
brought it back inside and claims it worked, but I am not certain he is
telling the truth - the car convertor may have killed it. Anyway, all
the thing will do now is click when you plug it in (I think it always
did this so it is normal) and there is power to the LED next to the
main power button on the front, but it will not do anything when you
try to use the power button. In other words, it won't turn on. I am
not sure if the power supply is damaged or if there is a board problem.
I have checked the fuses and they are ok.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

I do have background in fixing solid state pinball machines so I do
have access to a DMM. However I don't really know where to start on a
stereo per se. I do not have schematics.

Being that I was once young and stupid also, I would like to try and
help him out. This was a fairly pricey stereo when new and it is
definitely worth salvaging. Thanks in advance - John