Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sounds bad to me, rotel power amp won't click

Jumpster Jiver wrote:
wrote:
broken amp wrote:

My Rotel RB-1050 stopped working. Normally, a second after I push the
button I hear a click when the amp's power stage switches on. Today,
the red light comes on but no click and no output. 4x15Amp fuses inside
are OK.

I bought it used and it worked then, then it sat unused for 6 months
and now it doesn't work.

I thought this amp was bullet-proof...What do you think the problem is?

Thanks for your comments, - d

the relay connects the speakers, not the power to the output stage.
Look at the circuit operating the relay, it'll be faulty.

nb if you dont have troubleshooting skills, most amps operate ok if you
bypass the relay, it just means you get a slight clunk from the
speakers on powerup. Thats why the relays there.

Actually in most (all?) amps the relay is part of the protection circuit.
If the protection circuit detects DC voltage to the speaker outputs of
the amplifier stage the relay will not connect the speakers.
This protects the speakers from damage.
Although the fuses are still good there may be one or more failed
components in the amplifier and if you bypass the relay without checking
first, you could blow your speakers.
Sometimes the protection circuit itself fails, but if you're going to
bypass the relay to test this theory, you had better have some really
inexpensive speakers connected that you won't mind possibly destroying.

I guess I was wrong to assume V_out would be checked before connecting
up.

NT