Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Canchippy Canchippy is offline

Default Black Walnut - Heartwood/Sapwood Sanding Problem

charlie b wrote:

or are there some methods or means to keep the white wood white
and the dark wood dark - while still green?

Green wood is more fun to turn than dry wood. You can cut
continuous ribbons of wood by the yards. And tools don't seem
to dull near as quick as when turning dry wood. On the other hand,
there's that patience thing as well as the "I have only a vague notion
of what shape this thing will end up with when it finally dries" thing.

Ideas? Suggestions? Caveats? Comments?

charlie b

Charlie,
every green wood turner should have a copious supply of shellac on
hand. Use a 1 or 2lb cut. Do a finish cut with sharp tools. Slather on
the shellac and let dry for a couple of days. Then WET sand with oil or
water as a lubricant. Cover the lathe ways and yourself with plastic
first. Personally I use a 50/50 mix of blo and turpentine don't use
paint thinner/varsol as it leaves a white residue in worm holes and
other natural features. Be careful not to sand right through the
shellac. The slurry from the wet sanding fills in small imperfections
and leaves a wonderful smooth surface.
As for distotrion and warping the shellac helps to slow down the drying
and lessens the chance and also helps with cracking.
Peter
Visit my site at:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/pHyde/