Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Newbie question - Wood for drawers

Dan wrote:
Hello --

I have in mind some projects whose size does not exceed One cubic foot.
I have noticed that several kits I have purchased have wood of 3/8 of
an inch or less in thickness. When I hit the area lumber yard, Such
stock is not in immediate evidence. I would like to use the smaller
size, as a drawer of cigar box size with 3/4 inch sides is a bit over
whelming.

I have heard of resawing Lumber. I do have knowledge of planers.
Is this how you get thin stock, or Should I be trying a corner of a
lumeryard, perhaps another lumber yard?

There are a bunch of options. A good lumberyard should have a limited
selection of 1/2" stock in a couple of species. Around here I can get
oak and pine in 1/2" at my local yard. If the yards around you don't
stock it, they might have thickness planing capabilities in their yard
and could provide whatever thickness you need. Again, in only a
limited number of species.

You can also look in the yellow pages for wood molding and millwork.
Some of the bigger lumber yards have a wood molding division catering
to higher end home builders whose clients are satisfied with the
selection at Home Depot and Lowes. A millwork shop will be able to
provide you with anything you can dream up, but it won't necessarily be
cheap, and there most likely will be minimum size orders.

If you're looking for something besides the eight or ten species most
lumber yards are conversant in, look in the yellow pages for hardwood
wood suppliers. They may or may not be lumped in with the regular
lumberyards. Ask the regular lumberyard if you can't find them in the
book - they'll know if there are any in your area. They'll have a
whole host of wood on hand and it's worth a trip down to the yard, even
if it's a hike, because you'll learn a lot, will be able to select
exactly the wood you need and have them dimension the wood to your
specifications. You'll probably be drooling if you like wood at all.
Bring money. A credit card can be dangerous.

A lot of the wood suppliers are now online as the wood prices are high
enough that shipping costs are outweighed by the convenience and
selection. It's a little like buying a pig in a poke buying stuff
online, but unless you have some very specific needs it'll probably be
fine for your needs.

I've bought some such stuff through eBay. The shipping costs can make
or break the deal, so pay attention to what the Seller is charging. If
they don't specifically state the charges in the listing, and don't
have a shipping calculator, ask before you bid.

Then there's always this: http://www.woodfinder.com/