Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Does anyone make decent rechargeable batteries? (AA size)

Steve B wrote:
"Frank" wrote

NiMH can be recharged thousands of times but apparently slowly
discharge at maybe 1% a day. If camera sits around for a couple of
months, it is best to recharge batteries before use. As other poster
said, these cameras eat batteries, so NiMH use is still best bet.

Frank

And the best thing is that they are standard size batteries. If you ever
forget to take spares, or use up all the ones you have, you can put in some
AAs and keep taking pictures.

We recently went to Mazatlan with another couple. He brought his new Nikon.
He forgot to bring his charger. He could not find a new battery, nor a
charger, and if he did, they would have been $50 each or more.

I also use the AAs in my GPS unit. It is nice to have gear that takes all
the same size batteries. One of my chargers works in the car, too.

Steve

Looking over my Monster battery literature, they say 1 to 2% loss of
charge per day and batteries can be recharged over a thousand times.
NiCads are different and as someone pointed out, voltage potential
varies with the electrochemical potential. I don't use rechargables in
my Etrex gps as it is not often used but when I need it, I want it to
work.

Frank