Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Balloon framing versus using a ledger

Wayne Whitney wrote:
Hello,

As discussed in a previous thread, I'm reframing my porch deck and
joists. On one end of the six foot span the joists hit the sheathed
exterior wall of the house, so I'll be using a ledger and joist
hangers. On the other end there is a porch knee wall and cripple wall
below that are framed as a single stud wall. The old joists ran into
this wall and were each nailed to the face of a stud, i.e. it was
balloon framed. Is there any advantage to balloon framing like this
over using a ledger and joist hangers?

BTW, it seems like a ledger and joist hangers don't provide much
resistance against the joists pulling away from the ledger, as this
would put all nails holding the hangers to the ledger into withdrawal.
Is this a concern?

Thanks, Wayne

Its a good practice to use lag bolts to attach the ledger- prob. not a
risk in your case, but for folks with a porch against the house, and
just a few support posts on the far end, ledgers that are just nailed
to the house have pulled out and dumped people to the ground.
having all the joist hangers pull out of the ledger is much less
likely.