Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Weighing down trash cans

On 5 Dec 2006 10:19:35 -0800, "mike" wrote:

I like the idea of the bungees since they're lightweights, so I could
keep them on there all the time if they don't get in the way.

The problem with putting bolts in the cans is that I either have to
live with the weights in the cans year-round or I have to remove them
and deal with the holes in the can. With the winds we get around here,
having a couple extra pounds isn't going to do the job...I need to be
putting in probably about 20 pounds of weight at the bottom. I could
live with that but some of my neighbors who are also trying to address
this problem aren't strong enough to move an extra 20 pounds in the
cans all the time, so being removeable is key, at least for them.

You could anchor a hook(eye) to the ground and put a snap on the can.
This would be a trip hazard if you ever moved the can.

You can use a threaded anchor so you can remove the hook easily.

You could also put a latch on the lid.