Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default Does anyone make decent rechargeable batteries? (AA size)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:34:19 -0800, Steve B wrote:

Main thing is not to leave them on the charger, which I believe you did. I
have heard of them catching fire when left on a charger for a long time.

That can only happen if the charger is broken. A properly functioning charger
will shut off when finished and perhaps run a minute trickle afterwards to
keep the batteries from self discharging.

Bottom line, I have several brand names. I have about twenty batteries,
total, and I also have AAA that I use in my walkie talkies. You can buy
such a thing as a "smart charger" and that senses the level of each battery
and charges it accordingly. They are around $40.

Rechargeable nimh batteries are good. They will save you money. They do
have to be used properly, though.

What I've observed over the last three decades is that rechargeables will last
nearly forever as long as they are kept in regular service. Quit using the
walkman/camera/whatever and leave the batteries in a drawer for four months
and they'll be ruined.