Posted to alt.home.repair
trainfan1 trainfan1 is offline

Default Does anyone make decent rechargeable batteries? (AA size)

jmagerl wrote:

I gave up on rechargables for cameras. They always seemed to self discharge
when ever I needed to take a picture. Alkalines can't meet deep current
requirements a camera has. I finally settled on a pair of Everready
photolithiums. approx $10 for 4. They don't self discharge and are always
ready for that unexpected picture. I still use rechargables when I expect to
use the camera but between events the camera is loaded with the
photolithiums so its always ready for that unexpected picture.

Note: It is always good practise when charging rechargable batteries to take
them out of the charger as soon as they are charged. Letting them sit in the
charger will cook them and shorten their life.

NiMH chargers are either electronically timed, for a specific capacity
battery(5 hrs. for a 1600 mah, eg.), or as in the case with most newer
chargers for sale now, automatic. No need to unplug or remove. Both
styles have indicator LED's to show if charging is taking place. The
timer type WILL reset & charge again after a power interruption, so be
aware of that.

As a youngster, we had a "Federal" 4-bay battery charger that we used to
charge hundreds & hundreds of carbon-zinc batteries over the years( for
Motorific cars & Hot Wheels "Superchargers, etc.). Many years later I
took it apart to see how it worked, it was a just a rectifier & a
special compensating bulb in series with the 120v mains! I'm surprised
we never burnt down the house or had any acid mishaps the way we used to
cook 'em to get a good charge!

Rob