Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
Alan Connor Alan Connor is offline

Default Waste disposal was Siting of panels for solar water heating

On uk.environment, in
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"sarah" wrote in message

I know exactly what's coming next. This lady is obviously
another Beardmore, smart as a whip with the intellectual
integrity of a sleazeball politician:

I know sarah IRL and while she is smarter than any whip I know

Cute.

her intellectual integrity is beyond reproach.

No. That's obvious as hell.

She said she was willing to live near all of the industries
that make her lifestyle possible.

She isn't. She doesn't. And she won't. And she knows it.

OR, she doesn't know anything about industrial technology
and is thus not qualified to be discussing the subject.

If the former is true, then she's lying. If the latter
is true she would, if she had intellectual integrity,
admit her ignorance and bow out until she's done her
homework. A lot of it.

And amazing number of people who know nothing about how
this civilization works in the real world consider themselves
to be environmental experts.

Their psuedo-educations on the subject come from promotional
materials published by environmental orgs and/or from textbooks
produced by major corporations.

None of the above materials cover even the basics of how the
things we consume are produced.

And without that understanding you just can't talk realistically
about the environment.

For example: It takes about 3.25 acres of land to produce the
_food_ for the animals whose products you consume.

How many people in Great Britain? Do the math. If every scrap
of land in GB was devoted to growing the food for those animals
you still wouldn't have enough.

But it's much more fun to talk about sorting garbage and
"global warming", isn't it?

And we don't even always agree :-)

Sure you do. You agree on some basic, and erroneous, assumptions.

Like: We don't have to make fundamental changes in our lifestyle
because it isn't the cause of the environmental crisis.

It's those Evil Politicians and Evil Corporations who are to
blame.

And: We (billions of people) can live a supermaterialistic
lifestyle _and_ preserve the Nature that sustains us.

Those wonderful Scientists will invent amazing technologies
that will make this possible.

Alan

--
http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html