Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Outlets -- which way?

On 5 Dec 2006 06:07:23 -0800, wrote:

I agree with this that someone wrote above:

"The ground pin should always be down. Reason: Certain plug-in items
won't
hang correctly if the outlet is upside down. Example: Extension cords
with
those flat plugs on the end, or appliance extension cords - those
really
thick ones. You may say "I have no intention of having an appliance in
my
living room", and that would be true. But, you *will* have one of those

extension cords or something similar in the future"

There is no requirement on which way is right for the home.

In hospitals the ground pin has to be up.

The reason is, when a plug is pulled partially out of an outlet the
terminals are exposed. A metal tray sliding down the wall would come
in contact with the ground plug and not the hot.

If you will look at the markings on a receptacle, the labeling on the
receptacle will give you an indication on how the manufacture
recommends the receptacle to be installed. Put the writings facing
right side up.