Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian Brian is offline

Default Weighing down trash cans

pe wrote:
On 4 Dec 2006 19:07:56 -0800, "Brian" wrote:

Eric Kent wrote:
How about getting a shallow wide box, filling it with concrete and
putting a bolt sticking out. You drill a hole in the trash can, set
it on the concrete and attach it with nuts, take it off when you don't
need it. Or, do the same with 4 coffee cans, one on each corner.

Or build a small 3 sided structure to hold the trash can. Cover it
with climbing vines. You could use 4 sides and a top and tell every
one you were bear proofing the can.

High tech approach, use an electromagnet like the kind that holds
security gates shut. Have the on /off switch out where the Sanitation
Workers (--I don't know where you live. Around here we call them
trash man) can activate the switch.

Remember, you get what you pay for.
And my advice it free.

Eric

If it's like any of the trash men around here, they are lazy and don't
like getting out of their vehicles.

Do you have any idea how toxic the dust clouds from some cans can be?
And most new cheap plastic can have no handles or hand holds at all for easy
lifting and idiot homeowners will put a hundred pounds of yard waste in a can.

Yard waste is a lot different from trash. In my city, we have regular
trash pickup on Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday is for yard trash
(branches, leaves, etc). Wednesday is also recyclables day. We have
city provided trash cans that are pretty large and on wheels. Can't
blame people sometimes for putting a lot of trash in there when it only
comes two days a week. They're just trying to maximize the time!