Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] crane763@yahoo.com is offline

Default Veritas Power Sharpening System - Primary / Micro-bevel Not Parallel

wrote:

SNIP

At this point I didn't know what to think, so out of frustration I once
again put my straight edge across the platter, this time with the abrasive
disks applied. I was really surprised to see a depression toward the center
hold down. When I measured the disk without media, it was dead flat. I
think what's happening, is that the rather thick cloth backing on the 80
grit paper is being compressed by the brass hold down and pulling the center
of the platter with it. I measured the depression at around .004" which
combined with the slight rise at the circumference, is more than enough to
account for the error we're seeing. It also accounts for the micro-bevel
not being parallel, because the thinner media on the 3mm platter doesn't
result in the same problem, in other words, the 3mm platter remains flat.

Your thoughts?

I'm really not sure that I follow what you're saying here. But I'll
take a close look at my setup to see if my platters also get depressed
toward the center. I don't remember actually looking at the flatness of
the installed platter. But I did set up the support bar so that it was
parallel to the side of the platter that I was grinding on. If all
the platters depress the same amount, then referencing the support bar
relative to the left side of the platter, say, would account for the
un-flatness, well enough. If all the platters depresss different
amounts, then this wouldn't work.

I don't undertstand how the grade of abrasive makes any difference in
how much the platters are depressed toward the center. ?

Oh, Mr Lee.....Are you out there? Any chance you can get your
designers to think about this?

Larry