Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I've had an idea. I'm a bit clueless with DIY. I want to put up a roller blind, here are some photos - sensible?

wrote:

Yes - when i tap it , it sounds hollow (must be plasterboard) (so no
drill needed)

unscrewing the existing curtain rails - will they already have toggle
fixings?

who knows. There are several types of hollow wall fixings.

could I do damage by unscrewing them?

not really, but you may be left with holes you cant screw back into

Please see this photo:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSC00046.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSC00045.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSC00044.jpg

Just looked in argos for 'toggle fixings' - do I need to use them to
screw into plasterboard (will it damage it otherwise)
(If I can't buy it in John Lewis/Selfridges etc. I'll obv need go to
Homebase or B&Q)

yes, argos isnt the place for them. If you screw straight into the PB
without toggles or something similar, the screws will just pull
straight out, leaving holes behind.

where you want it. To keep out light it'll need to hang close against
the wall, not spaced away from it.

How about within the window recess (as far away from the glass as
possible - ie. next to the inside wall). I guess that would be
difficult/awkward to fit - due to confined space. But it would mean I
wouldn't have to remove the existing curtain rail (& curtains)

if you want. wouldnt get as good light blocking tho

^ is the above paragraph a really dumb idea?

Thanks again the help. I really appreciate it.

If youre only there temporarily, if you leave the existing rail up its
one less job now & one less later.

If you put the blind in the recess you'll need a dark colour, pref
black, to cut the light down. as youll have a gap at each side.

NT