Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Condensation on cistern

On 5 Dec 2006 04:59:30 -0800 someone who may be "AA"
wrote this:-

Parents live in a small 1930's (or so) 1st floor flat with good double
glazing, central heating etc. In the bathroom they get a huge amount
of condensation on the cistern from water level downwards, particularly
after having a bath/shower in the room. They resort to having a tray
on the floor to catch the water as it drips off. It drives my mother
loopy. They have had both plastic and porcelain(?) cisterns with the
same problem. Any suggestions on what they can do to limit the
condensation? What's different about their house that should cause it?
- dampness/high humidity/extra cold water supply?

1) They probably have the misfortune to have it fed from the mains.
That means in winter it is a little colder then water from the cold
tank would be and thus condensation is more likely.

2) They have inadequate heating/ventilation in the room.

3) It is possible to line the inside of the cistern with
polystyrene, glued to the sides. This reduces the condensation a
lot.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh