Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] shane.london@yahoo.com is offline

Default I've had an idea. I'm a bit clueless with DIY. I want to put up a roller blind, here are some photos - sensible?

The question is whats the wall made of above the window where you'll
drill. It looks from the first pic like a sloping ceiling, in which
case its probably weak hollow PlasterBoard. Tap it, does it sounds
solid or hollow?

(Thanks for the advice by the way)

Yes - when i tap it , it sounds hollow (must be plasterboard) (so no
drill needed)

unscrewing the existing curtain rails - will they already have toggle
fixings? could I do damage by unscrewing them? Please see this photo:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSC00046.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSC00045.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSC00044.jpg

Just looked in argos for 'toggle fixings' - do I need to use them to
screw into plasterboard (will it damage it otherwise)
(If I can't buy it in John Lewis/Selfridges etc. I'll obv need go to
Homebase or B&Q)

where you want it. To keep out light it'll need to hang close against
the wall, not spaced away from it.

How about within the window recess (as far away from the glass as
possible - ie. next to the inside wall). I guess that would be
difficult/awkward to fit - due to confined space. But it would mean I
wouldn't have to remove the existing curtain rail (& curtains)

^ is the above paragraph a really dumb idea?

Thanks again the help. I really appreciate it.