Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default lowering output of furnace?

wrote in message
oups.com...

"I have several rooms in my house that I don't have to use, so I close
them
off and shut off the heater registers in those rooms to save energy.
However, this causes the remaining registers to become very windy and
noisy.
I believe the reduction in air flow also increases the furnace output
temperature and therefore increases heat loss while the air is
traveling in
the heating ducts in the crawlspace. Also air is lost due to leakages
in the
heating ducts -- my crawlspace is warmer than outside by at least 10
degrees.

Is it generally possible to lower the heat output of a furnace? This is
what
I have (replaced last year): "

Even if you could turn off part of the burner, how is that going to
solve a problem of the remaining registers being windy and noisey?
That is determined by the blower, not the temp of the air coming out.
If anything, it will only make it worse, because with reduced heat
output, the blower will run even longer.

And if you have leakages in the crawlspace, it would seem the solution
to that would be to fix them, not lower the output of the furnace.

Leaks in the crawlspace may be a good thing, if you live in cold climate
area it may be the only thing keeping your pipes from freezing down there on
one of those real cold winter days.