Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimi Jimi is offline

Default Weighing down trash cans

wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 18:47:44 -0700, "Bob M." wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
groups.com...
Hi, I live in a very windy area and my neighbors and I are having
problems with trash cans getting knocked over because of the strong
wind gusts, as well as the lids opening up.

Get a piece of 1/2" steel plate and bolt it to the bottom of the can.

He doesn't own the can. Drilling holes in the cans is against the rules

Okay, After all the fisting through the other posters I have to say I
have the same set up as you. I have had the SAME freaking garbage can for
over TEN years! So my advice is don't worry about it...and try this....

Take the empty can and clean it out. Flip the can upside down and
screw in the bottom about four 1/2 inch lagbolts about 2 inches long using
very large washers as back up.. Then flip the can over and lay in the bottom
of the container wax paper allowing the lag bolts to come through the paper.
Then toss a few scuba diving lead weights to the bottom of the can. This is
followed by pouring fiberglass resin over the lag bolts and diving weights.
Do the same to the lid. Your present problem is solved. (Lead weight can
include going to your nearest tire store and obtaining discarded tire
weights etc...anything heavy....your mothers old iron etc)
So you think you have damaged this container? Absolutely not!... Live
with it and be happy!! People worry too much!! If there's a change in
any neighbourhood garbage contract there is generally a BIG announcement!
There will be a flyer in your mailbox or something hanging from your door
stating they will be by to collect the garbage cans and a different one will
be issued Etc ETc... Now THAT is when you have to worry!! But you can fix
the problem....Take it to your garage and extract the bolts, dump the
weight. Go to the nearest auto supply and buy a tube of JB Weld and repair
the holes...cover the repair with mud....and quit worrying about such a
small rule. Do you really think a contractor that has lost a garbage
contract is going to inspect each and every can at your doorstep? Unless
it's obvious damage I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. In the very worse
case scenereo, ...run the damned thing over and totally destroy it... then
leave it in the ditch in front of your house for pick up... If they come
knocking say "It must have been hit by a drunk driver etc..... Freaking KIDS
nowadays!" Bottom line is alter the can for your use (which could be ten
years or more) and deal with the rest which would be a pittance....Take
care....jimi