Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Forcing a copper pipe to move?

"Bob F" wrote in
:

"Toller" wrote in message
I have 3/4" copper hot and cold pipes running through the basement.
1/2" copper pipes run off them to below sinks and then run up to the
sinks. The problem is one that is a 3' run from the 3/4" line to
below the sink. It is now attached to a 3/4" board attached to floor
joists. I want to

move
the 1/2" lines so they are even with the joists; that means moving
them up about 1.5". There is no problem with the sink as it is
connected to the 1/2" pipe with a flexible connector. I am concerned
about stressing the 1/2" pipe or the connection to the 3/4" pipe.

Seems to me that copper ought to have enough flex to accomodate
moving

1.5"
over a length of 3', but I don't want to find out the hard way that I
was wrong. Anyone with experience here? The pipes are about 25
years old, if the matters.

I want to put in a dust collector that requires 91", and I now have
only 90"! Any place I can put it has problems with heating ducts or
worse.

It might work. It might not. You are going to stress the joints badly.
The damage that would result if they give would be way more than
the cost of a couple fittings and a little soldering

Bob

The damage that would result if they give would be way more than

Correction: ...WHEN they give AND you are not home

Al Murphy Bundy