Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
sarah sarah is offline

Default Waste paper and time was Siting of panels for solar water heating

AJH wrote:

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 10:29:25 +0000, (sarah)
wrote:

always imported 85% of our timber products you just have to recycle
15% of those and you equal the homegrown trade, now largely defunct.

The proportion of recycled material is impressive.

I was using it as an illustration rather than fact. I know both
shotton and kemsely replaced all their round timber with recycled pulp
but don't know where it came from.

The stats don't say, but I wondered what proportion is imported.

than just dreaming of doing so. This visit has reminded me that Usenet
is hard work if one tries to rely on fact rather than opinion :-/

Yes and dogmas don't seem to be open to change.

Same old same old.

And my temper shortens faster, too. I wonder if that's old age?

Are you asking me? Having met a few people through usenet it does seem
to be populated by us baby boomers ;-).

The young folk seem to be out dancing on the edge of the volcano. Or
striving to find deposits for a house.

Hope you are well and reasonably (or even unreasonably) happy.

I'm not built that way but am content enough, glad to see you're still
up for a fight but try to choose more worthy opponents ;-).

I plead ignorance, but I learn quickly. There's no point in arguing with
those incapable of reason! Speaking of which I see PG is still alive and
kicking vigorously ;-/

BTW I'm still for burning certain fractions of our waste rather than
recycling them, what I'm against is burning "residual" waste that
socially irresponsible people haven't seen fit to segregate.

Yup.

As I've said before I think the main EU drive against landfill was to
remove putrescible material that may affect ground water and pollute
the atmosphere rather than saving space per se.

I'm not certain. I suspect the intention was to reduce usage of a method
perceived as 'bad' for many reasons (pollution of groundwater, waste of
recyclables, lack of space, the relative importance of reasons varying
widely from place to place) and encourage more environmentally and
morally sound methods of disposal. I have a very vague and general
impression that the UK is more inclined to be pragmatic in an Industrial
Revolution style than some of the rest of Europe, which in public at
least pays lip service to grander ideals.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.