Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Jack is offline

Default Walnut Box - Would appreciate some advice on finish, stain and sanding.

Eric Kent wrote:
I have a display case made of walnut ( I'm pretty sure, may be pecan.)
I've had it for about 10 years unfinished and it looks a little rough
in places. Not beat up, but where it has gotten wet a few times over
the years and dried.
I have a mini-wax cherry stain that I'd like to put on the wood and
then finish with a polyurethane gloss ( I think the poly satin looks
too much like dull wax.)

The problem is I really suck when using poly. I either put it on too
thin and get areas where I miss or I put on too much and I get areas
of varying thickness. I've tried to let it set up a few days and then
sand, but the sandpaper gets all gummy. Maybe it needs a few weeks to
cure, I don't know. I was thinking of using the stain/poly combo. If
all I have to do it brush it on and then wipe it off I don't see how I
can mess that up. Advice/remarks/suggestions?

Also, I am thinking I should sand the wood first. What grit should I
use? Does it matter if I sand with the grain or not?
I treated a white pine board with the stain and it came out pretty
light after several applications, but when I tested a small area on
the Walnut, it was pretty dark. Is this common?

So, Advice/remarks/suggestions?

Thanks
Eric

You always sand with the grain. For a smooth finish use a very fine
grit/. Possibly a #400.
If you wax stain it then just wax it,.thats all the finish you need if
it is walnut or cherry.