Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Positive or Negative?

"bowgus" wrote in message
ups.com...

Would I put a good sized fan outside blowing in to create positive
pressure
inside, or put it exhausting out to create negative pressure in order to
follow the wisps of smoke and see where to chink and caulk?

Thanks in advance

Steve

If there's an attic hatch or the likes, maybe just open that (hot air
rises).. .and then do a walkaround the walls, doors, windows etc with
that smoke stick, rope, joint ... whatever :-)

Heck, I did a walkaround when it was 9 degrees outside, and I could feel
drafts. In some places along side the beams, I could actually see daylight.
This is going to be quite a long process, probably starting with the biggest
leaks and working back from there. Good news is that the way this was rough
finished, it is easy to pull off the trim pieces to get where I believe most
of the gaps are. Then just renail the strips, or even perhaps put some
better looking trim instead of the rough one by's.

Steve