Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Forcing a copper pipe to move?

Toller wrote:
I have 3/4" copper hot and cold pipes running through the basement. 1/2"
copper pipes run off them to below sinks and then run up to the sinks.
The problem is one that is a 3' run from the 3/4" line to below the sink.
It is now attached to a 3/4" board attached to floor joists. I want to move
the 1/2" lines so they are even with the joists; that means moving them up
about 1.5". There is no problem with the sink as it is connected to the
1/2" pipe with a flexible connector. I am concerned about stressing the
1/2" pipe or the connection to the 3/4" pipe.

Seems to me that copper ought to have enough flex to accomodate moving 1.5"
over a length of 3', but I don't want to find out the hard way that I was
wrong. Anyone with experience here? The pipes are about 25 years old, if
the matters.

I want to put in a dust collector that requires 91", and I now have only
90"! Any place I can put it has problems with heating ducts or worse.

There is Soft copper and there is Hard copper.
Yours is the latter.

If you try to put a bend in, the tube will buckle
or a soldered joint will likely fail. Wanna risk it??

Cut the pipe and solder in an offset section.
Jim