Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default Digging a hole in frozen ground

Goedjn wrote:
On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 07:03:53 -0500, "DIMwit"
wrote:
I got my new barn all closed in just before our heavy freeze took
over. But I still need to put 3 posts in the ground INSIDE the barn.
The soil in there is fairly dry on the top so I am hoping its not
frozen too solid or deep yet. But I did find the shovel was hard to
penetrate it yesterday. It was really too cold to proceed with the
job anyhow.

why can't you just pour boiling water on the ground so soften it up? It's
easier to heat up a big pot of water on a barbeque outside the barn, and the
water will work quickly working its way down, I think.

Just buy a pickaxe.

Or do it the lazy man's way: go rent an auger for a couple of hours.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com