Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default But By The Third Piece ...

charlie b wrote:
But By The Third Piece ...

BIG SNIP

Finding the right combination and orientation is either a lot of fun or a PITA depending
on how much wood I want to get out and go through (a large
layout/assembly bench sure comes in handy). But with turning you often
don't know what the grain will look like for the finished piece and the
next light pass with the skew may blow a piece that was so promising.

Of all the types of woodworking I've done, turning is the most like a
crap shoot. Sometimes you get lucky and other times . . . Perhaps
that's what makes it so addictive - pull the lever - again - and maybe
this time you'll win!

Could be that I'm just not very selective with what I start with. Maybe
great
turners don't waste time on marginal pieces of wood.

charlie b

I personally don't have a lot of time to turn anymore. I had hours and
hours last year because the weather was perfect chamber of commerce
stuff, but the weather didn't cooperate with me and my repair/remodel
business is killing me this year.

But I guess a couple of years ago I started to look at the turning wood
(not he act, the material) like I did when looking for a feature piece
(a top or drawer front for example) on flat work. I make it a point to
dig out a piece of wood that has unusual features, grain, knots, wind
shake, etc. I will mull over pieces of wood for some time before I
chuck them up if it is for a gift or something for me. I can look at
all the stuff I have for an hour before I settle on one, and most of
the time mother nature doesn't disappoint. Some are better than others
to be sure, but I am not a fan of too much straight grain.

I changed the finishes I use on different pieces depending on their
use. I have a bowl that hasn't changed in color a bit, and I used
special brew of thinned polyurethane and something else that escapes
me. I no longer use shellac on anything close to light as I finished a
small Roman style vase with it, and the alcohol in the shellac melted
the spalted ink lines as well as turning my piece of snow white
Hackberry kind of a pee yellow.

Now when I have something that is fer lookin', not fer usin', I use
Johonson't paste wax. I went to a turning convention about 10 years
ago and a guy showed me that. Sand up to about 600 and quit. Clean
with lacquer thinner, then resand if needed. Put the wax on at low
speeds, being careful not to apply until the rag dries out. When the
piece is dry, buff out with a piece of flannel.

Do this about 4 times. It gives a great, soft feel to the wood and it
is dust resistant, and the finish will last if not exposed to water or
abasion (can't use this on the change/penny bowl.

On my other usable stuff now I use a special conversion lacquer left
over from finishing cabinets and it doesn't yellow.

For small pieces I use a homebrew loosely based on the Bonnie Klein
juice recipe. It works great for lamp pulls and ornaments.

Robert