Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Veritas Power Sharpening System - Primary / Micro-bevel Not Parallel

"Mark Wells" wrote in message
ups.com...
George wrote:
Think I may have a thought. Go here
http://www.makita.com/assets_product...als/9820-2.pdf and
look at the picture and instructions in the center of page 8. I would
assume that the same would be true for the Veritas, given the similarity.

Good thought. I think there is one big difference with the Makita,
though. It actually uses a stone, which wears away so the wheel ends
up sloped down toward the outside. The Highland Hardware instructions
have more detail about that:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/9820-2.pdf (Disclaimer: I
have never seen or used a Makita sharpener.)

Principle behind the technique is to take the entire piece off the stone
edge smoothly, so that the grind is equal all the way. Think that might
work regardless. Stone doesn't wear very fast anyway, especially not with
the lube.

I downloaded the Highland pdf. Not the same one they sent with mine years
ago, so I'll make a comparative to see what might have changed since then.
Tough to believe the number of planer and jointer blades I've run through
it. It's repaid many times over. Used to run a pair of blade sets every
month up at the school.