Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default Veritas Power Sharpening System - Primary / Micro-bevel Not Parallel

Mark Wells wrote:

I agree. I'm not happy, but not sure what to expect from them. I do
know that I bought the first honing jig, which "everybody" said was
great and it turned out to be worthless because the blade shifts. Then
I bought this machine, which "everybody" said is great. It has turned
out less than satisfactory. I'm not about to buy the new honing jig.
That's why I made my own.

Mark

Mark, I had the Veritas Honing Jig, and had the same trouble - the
blade would not stay square. I returned it and got the Mark II Jig
which is just great. Everything that is wrong with the original jig was
fixed with the Mark II.

As for the micro-bevel, the Mark II jig accomplishes it by offsetting
the wheel - which has the effect of twisting the blade in relation to
the abrasive, resulting in the microbevel not being parallel with the
primary bevel. Maybe this is just how Veritas chose to handle the
microbevel on all of their sharpening systems. With the Mark II jig,
I've just used a playing card under the roller to create an even
microbevel.

If you end up returning the powered system, look into the Mark II jig -
I've been very happy with it.

Mike