Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Irwin Miter Saw Laser Guide

Robert Allison wrote:

Mike wrote:

Robert Allison wrote:

Let me know how you like it after you have used it awhile. I
may go and get a battery for mine and put it back on.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I've been using this type of laser on my Bosch SCMS for about 4 months
now. Once you get used to the fact that the laser line is on one side
of the blade, it's pretty helpful. When my good piece is on the other
side of the blade, I just offset the laser line by a kerf width and go
- after doing this a bit you will get pretty accurate with the offset
required.

Mike

One of the problems that I had with the Hitachi was that the laser was
so wide. I had to align the edge of the laser with the side of the
blade and then realign it when using the other side. When doing this,
how did I know if I was close? I would site down the blade like I
usually do for cuts, then cut a test piece. Since I make multiple cuts
on either side of the blade a lot, it was much faster to just sight down
the blade. Unless I was doing multiple cuts on the same side of the
blade, it was too much trouble to use.

I tried to set up some marks on the laser adjustment so I could quickly
slide it back and forth, but that didn't seem to work too well either.

With the fixed laser, I would not have to make any fine adjustments, but
it would only be good for one side of the blade, so I would still have
to site down the blade for the other side. I can think of some good
uses for it, but I can't get inspired to replace the battery and
reinstall it.

I sent that before I intended to,...

What I was trying to say was that I would like to see a laser
that would drop a line that was the exact width of the blade,
exactly where the blade was. That way, the sides of the laser
mark would be the sides of the blade and you could do both
sides easily with no adjustments necessary once it was set up
correctly.

Anyone have one like that?

--
Robert Allison