Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I've had an idea. I'm a bit clueless with DIY. I want to put up a roller blind, here are some photos - sensible?

wrote:

Q. Is it sensible for me to put up a roller blind? (I want to block out
light mainly)

why not? If its what you want, go for it.

Q. I need to purchase or borrow a drill (cordless drill? Hammer drill?)

The question is whats the wall made of above the window where you'll
drill. It looks from the first pic like a sloping ceiling, in which
case its probably weak hollow PlasterBoard. Tap it, does it sounds
solid or hollow? If it is PB you can probably drill it with a
toothbrush, though a drill of absolutely any kind will be quicker.
Actually tbh for 3 or 4 PB holes it'd be quicker to just use a
screwdriver than find a drill.

If it is hollow PB you'll need to use toggle fixings. If its solid you
can use wallplugs and screws.

I've seen on in Argos that has 'laser' guidance - seems like a good
idea for idiots such as myself (so I don't drill into the wrong place)

No, you can see the drill bit no problem. Laser on drill = completely
pointless.

Q. What is the best position for me to put the blind up? (I dont need
it to 'look pretty'. I just want it to block out light)

where you want it. To keep out light it'll need to hang close against
the wall, not spaced away from it.

Should I just hire someone to do it for me? ( I wish I could afford
to!)

god no. Dont even think about it.

(I rent so want to do it fairly discreetly. I can always remove the
blind when I leave so the landlord need never know)

a bit of filler (£1) and a knife to smooth it down with will disappear
the holes when you go, and the old curtain & rail will need to go back
up

NT