Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Domestic steam cleaners ? Are they any good ?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Wibble wrote:
SWMBO is cleaning the oven and I suggested the job would
be easier if she had a hand held steam cleaner. SWMBO
says that she's heard they are rubbish but I've heard the opposite.

Does anyone in here own one and is it any good ? Does it
do what they are supposed to do i.e. remove stubborn grime ?

I bought one from Argos but returned it. I was so disappointed with the
results.

Then someone recommended Polti to me.

What can I say. They are amazing. (in my opinion)

They are expensive though. I got a compact model from a website for
about 160 (UK pounds)

John Lewis & Selfridges stock them

They are very powerful, but you spend a lot of money on kitchen roll/
cleaning cloths as you need to wipe away the dirt.

It leaves the bathroom gleaming

... but for cleaning the oven - never tried it for that. May be a good
idea to stick with a chemical products.

I always felt that I didn't need one so never tried one but a son told me I
had to get a Karscher (sp?), he bought one while serving in Germany and they
used it for hundreds of applications,

The local electrical shop got one for us, expensive yes but it too is
amazing. I've not bought any household chemical cleaners since we bought it.

Yes, it does the oven. I don't use kitchen towels but rags.

It looks as though the cheap versions are no good from what I've heard but
the powerful jet of very hot steam is superb for cleaning. Haven't tried it
on stripping wallpaper, we paint that.

Yes, it will clean the oven, even the window glass which is a real challenge
for any product.

Mary