Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default how to protect pipes if no heat?

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:59:36 GMT, "peter" wrote:

In the unfortunate event of losing electric power for days during freezing
weather, what is the best way to prevent water pipes from freezing?

Leave each faucet dripping, or turn off water main?

I'm trying to compile a disaster todo list.

BTW, normally pipes inside houses are kept warm by central heating. But what
keeps the pipes under the streets from freezing?

When we lost power for a long time, I was told to open cabinet doors.
The house heat would transfer to the pipes easier, and with proper
insulation, water wouldn't freeze for a while. Now this is advice I
was given.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com