Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rb rb is offline

Default VCR sometimes doesn't eject tape - several tries necessary

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
One of my two S-VHS recorders has this problem, an RCA VR695HF. I bought
it about 1990. It was one of the earliest S-VHS decks. I also have the
earliest one, a JVC JRS-7000U. Both decks have been repaired a few times
- the heads have been replaced.

The RCA deck has had a problem for a while. It doesn't always eject the
tape. I press the eject button and I hear the mechanism kick in but the
tape doesn't eject. Until a couple weeks ago, it usually (not always!!)
ejected on the second press (the same sound happened both presses, but
the second time the tape came out). A couple weeks ago I had to press it
40-50 times before the tape finally came out. Annoying, especially
because the tape was due back at the library that day.

Some months ago I took the cover off and looked for something to adjust
or lubricate but whatever I did didn't help (cleaned, a bit of
lubrication here and there, blow compressed air, etc.). Using a
different tape has no evident effect.

Any ideas what I might look for in troubleshooting and fixing this
problem? I have a book on repairing VCR's, but its flowcharts haven't
helped.

Thanks!

Dan

Check loading belt if it has one.