Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Removing small dents from wood

On 2006-12-04 14:50:58 +0000, said:

Hi,

I managed to damage the wooden top of a new hi-fi speaker. The scrape
was caused by the corner of a plastic foldable crate (rounded not
sharp). The mark is across the grain and the indentations are deepest
where the grain is soft and less where the grain is hard, so I assume
this is real wood not veneered chipboard. The wood is open grained (I
assume pine or spruce), stained black (not painted, you can see the
grain as variations in black/grey) and polished/thin varnish).

I have heard of using heat to raise such indentations in wood but not
sure how to do it. I don't feel like placing a hot iron on my new
speaker :-) .

Does anyone know how to do this or can you suggest other possible
techniques I could try?

Thanks for any suggestions,

John Smith.

The technique is to use a hot iron (steam iron is good) through a cloth
pad. The idea is to warm, moisten and swell the grain. However, it
may not work through varnish and only works where the wood is crushed
as opposed to material having been removed.