Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default vinegar dissolves water deposits??

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:07:07 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

mm spake thus:

IIRC vinegar dissolves water deposits. Is that right?
And is wine vinegar as good as white vinegar? Apparently I used the
bottle of white stuff.**

My humidifier that goes into the heating duct wasn't working, and all
that seems wrong is that the inlet screen is clogged. I couldn't get
the whole thing apart, so I have a little bigger part soaking in wine
vinegar! Is that as good as white vinegar?

Yes, vinegar, being a mild acid (acetic acid) dissolves all kinds of
mineral deposits. Most people prefer white vinegar, as it's cheaper and
doesn't leave any stains.

Since it's relatively weak acid, time is your ally: if the stuff isn't
coming off right away, just let it soak some more.

Well, I put the humidifier back in place, so not so much hot air is
coming out of the duct into the basement.

And I'll let it soak until tomorrow, probably tomorrow night.

I've decided that wine vinegar is more sophisticated than white
vinegar. I think it is made from grapes or ruined wine, instead of
from wheat.