Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Install a ceiling lamp

wrote:
The old lamp had same cabling exept because it was a bigger lamp it had
a clear color cable extension going from one of the green wires down to
the clear cable and attached to the white cable. I think I seem to get
you on this one since you can't even figure out what could be wrong
lol....

No, I'm pretty sure I could figure it out.

You likely have a "switch leg" setup where the hot (black) lead from the
breaker comes into the ceiling box and should connect to a lead which
runs down to one side of the switch, probably the green wire with the
black tape on it. Another lead runs back up to the ceiling box from the
other side of the switch and should connect to the black lead on your
new fixture. The white wire from the new fixture should connect to the
white wire in the ceiling box and the ground lead from the fixture to
the metal plate screw. (You got the last two correct.)

See if that info helps,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia